The concept is used to explain why consumers buy more of a product when the price falls’ (Marginal utility, 2009). Gold ornaments always attract ladies. But the current value of gold per gram forces them from purchasing more gold or wearing more gold ornaments. On the other hand suppose the gold value falls by around 25 to 50%, and then the buyer would be able to get some additional units for the amount of money he decided to spend on gold ornaments. Thus marginal utility is the increase in utility as a result of higher consumption. “The greater the supply of the item available, the smaller the marginal utility. In total utility, supply is the main price determinant” (Marginal utility, 2009) Types of goods As per economic classification, goods can be classified into three; Inferior, Normal and Luxury. An inferior good always moves well when the income decreases whereas when the income of the people increases, the inferior goods selling would be adversely affected. On the other hand, the above case is exactly opposite for luxury goods. When the income decreases, luxury goods consumption would be less whereas when the income increases, luxury goods consumption would be more. For example, the current economic recession has made the public with less income and subsequently less spending on luxury goods. The Basic Concepts in Microeconomics.
1. “Marginal utility”. 2009. 07 November 2009. <http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Marginal-utility>
2. “Marginal Benefit and Marginal Cost”. 2009. Investopedia. 07 November 2009. <http://www.investopedia.com/study-guide/cfa-exam/level-1/microeconomics/cfa5.asp>
3. “Opportunity Cost”. 2009. Investopedia. 07 November 2009. <http://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/opportunitycost.asp>
4. “Whats the difference between macroeconomics and microeconomics”. 2009. Investopedia. 07 November 2009. <http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/110.asp>
5. “Economics Basics: Demand and Supply”. 2009 Investopedia, 07 November 2009. <http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp>
Please type your essay title, choose your document type, enter your email and we send you essay samples