This makes it harder for unauthorized users to guess. User interface options like ‘Remember Password’ should be avoided at all costs. Storing of passwords should be done in an encrypted way to ensure their security. Once encryption has been done to passwords, Access Control Lists (ACL) is used to control unauthorized access. An insecure wireless network offers avenues for a system to be attacked easily. Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth make it easy for a quick attack on a system. Wireless network can be secured using hotspots and passwords to reduce users. This can be done using Firewalls and VPN for connectivity.Even though FBI and other organization involved in cyber crime are unwilling to disclose the type of methods they use to track down system attackers (they fear that the offenders may know their tactics), investigations involve locating the IP address used in the crime and the ISP address that hacker used. Internet Service Providers store all records and therefore locating the fraudulent act is not hard provided the ISP is known. However, ISPs differ in sizes, larger ones may information for as long as a month while the smaller ISPS dispose off their data very quickly in order to cut down costs. Therefore, an investigator ought to move fast. (Griffith, ‘How to investigate cyber crime’)Once the PCs of the suspect have been seized, forensic experts are called to work. Forensic experts come up with what is called a ‘true copy’ of the drives. This process helps to identify all deleted items that may not be present in the drives. There are also softwares used in the forensic exercise. For faster retrieval of information, the forensic experts narrow down to what they are looking for and not just the general information as this may take a whole lifetime to achieve. If the case involves money laundering, then the experts will concentrate on data involving money. (Griffith, ‘How to investigate cyber crime’)Laws dealing with cyber crime are mainly divided into two: The National Stolen Property Act (from 1934) and The Economic Espionage (an act of 1996). The latter came as a result of the government’s inability to curb all cyber related crimes like trademark infringements. This act criminalized all forms of trade secret theft. The National Stolen Property Act is by no means related to cyber crime, but federal
1. Benjamin, Plackett. How to catch a cyber criminal. The Connectivist, n.d. web. June 26, 2013.a
2. Deflem, Mathieu, and J. Eagle Shutt. Law Enforcement and Computer Security Threats and Measures, 2006.
3. Connolly, T. M. & Begg, C. E. Database Systems: A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation and Management, Harlow, Essex, England, Pearson Education Limited, 2005.
4. Coronel, C., Morris, S., Rob, P. (2009). Database Systems: Design, Implementation and Management. Boston, MA, USA, Cengage Learning, 2009.
5. Defense Information Systems Agency. Database Security Requirements Guide Version 1, 2012. Web, 25 Feb. 2014.
6. Elmasri, R. & Navathe, S.B. Fundamentals of Database Systems, USA, Addison-Wesley, 2010.
7. ‘Malware, spam and phising: the threats most commonly encountered by companies.’ Kaspersky. n.p. web. 2014.
8. David, Griffith. How to investigate cyber crime, Nov 1, 2003.
9. Ulanoff, Lance. Computer Trouble Isn`t Always What You Think It Is, Nov. 2010.
10. Upasan G. Top 5 Certifications for 2012: Ethical Training, Security Incidents Push Demand, Dec 2, 2011.
11. Vernon, Mark. Top Five Threats, 2014.
Please type your essay title, choose your document type, enter your email and we send you essay samples